Saturday, April 17, 2010

Una Conversación con La Patria!


          ¡¡¡ Saludos de Cuba!!!!  It has taken me two weeks of absorbing and processing until I felt ready to begin to try to explain my initial impressions of La Habana, Cuba. ¡Vámanos!

From the moment we hit ground at José Martí International Airport I have been going through the process of unraveling and deconstructing all of the opinions, perspectives and outside influences that I carried with me and beginning to form a whole new perspective of my own. We don’t realize how much our society influences and forms us until we leave!

        We receive a ton of false portrayals and one-sided perspectives about Cuba within the U.S. I was told that no Cuban would talk to me for fear of the secret police- false! Although there is a complicated relationship between local Cubans and tourists/foreigners, there are still many ways to build trust and relate to people. What surprised me most was that the Cubans harbor no bad feelings towards me as a person from the U.S. despite the issue of the embargo. Upon learning that I was from the U.S., many become very happy because I am able to see things for myself and in their words I am able to  “make up my own mind about Cuba.” They, unlike many of us in the states, are able to separate people from their governments, an important and humanizing quality. Everyone that I  approach is ready and willing to speak about their experience and even critique the Cuban system and way of life. Of course this must be done in a tact and quiet manner (more to come on that), however it is easy to strike up a conversation with many people here and gain multiple perspectives and opinions.


          We are told in the US that the Cuban people are unhappy, socially and economically immobile and jailed by the Cuban government. This is very one-sided! the Cubans have a saying, “No es facil” (it’s not easy)- yes there are social problems, yes there are extreme economic problems (because of two fluctuating currencies, the Cuban peso and the CUC), yes there is rationing and a lack of flow of material goods (as result of the embargo). However, health care, education, housing is not only free but extremely accessible. Although material goods and food are not plentiful and up to US standards, everyone has the fundamentals. Most importantly, education and health care are human rights instead of private goods.

Unfortunately, although we do not acknowledge it, the embargo extends both ways. The U.S. is suffering from not receiving the amazing things that Cuba has to offer. No, I am not talking about Cigars or Rum, -Cuba’s best exports are neither material nor tangible. Cuba exports people in the form of doctors, researchers, educators, scholars, and ideas like sustainability, thrift, unity and pride. Cuba despite contrary US belief is not a Marxist society, but a “Marti-ansociety (based on the ideals of José Martí- the man who led the first Revolutionary War and layed the foundations and philosophies for Cuba as a sovereign society.)

                  On the outside Havana is crumbling skyscrapers, half-preserved mansions converted into public offices, bursting cemented sidewalks lined with 1950’s classic cars, ever-changing fruit and meat markets and empty malls with neon pants in the display windows. The city is held tight by the slippery malecón, dotted with lovers and wanderers all day and night. This massive gray border meets the vivacious and rebellious Caribbean sea. Havana from the outside is old men in loose silk shirts with straw hats slapping down dominoes, a wrinkled sweet-eyed woman selling peanuts wrapped in a tube of paper near el Capitolio, small children swinging their hips in pairs to blaring charanga habanera, teenagers blasting reggaeton from small European cars, live salsa bands pounding out beats as small dainty cups of sweet espresso are served at a café.


      You have read the tour books, you have seen the flashes of sultry scenes in movies. And yes, Cuba is all this- however it is of course so much more than what we can see- and it is often very misunderstood. There is a saying here that the more a person learns and absorbs on the inside, the less they need on the outside. Cuba is an aging yet eternal older woman, her skin cracked and wrinkled, her fists and feet strong, and her eyes humble and forgiving. I wake up every day excited to converse with her to understand her feelings, sentiments, emotions, systems, philosophies, and a ways of being


A little note about my living conditions/ studies! (much more to come):

I live on the 13th floor of an art-deco skyscraper that is facing the malecón/ocean. It is the most incredible view!! The Residencia (residency) is owned by the University/Cultural center where I take classes from 9-1:00 every day. We are focusing on comparing the Cuban educational system with the U.S. educational system, however we also take classes on Cuban History, arquitecture, music and fine arts! Casa De Las Americas is a world renowned institution founded by Haydee Santamaría, a female revolutionary fighter. It has hosted the most renowned poets including Jorge Luis Borges, Nancy Morejón, Pablo Neruda and the list goes on and on... 

More to come! Cuidense!


8 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Ali! I wish I was there with you to soak all this in. I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fantastic and beautiful descriptions! I'm speechless, your first blog leaves me wanting more! I love you, mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ali. I love your writing and your perspective. I think you may have a career as a travel writer percolating. I am getting a better feel for Cuba.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is amazing writing! Your vivid descriptions sparks up paintings in my imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So exciting! Thanks for your balanced and intelligent perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it, Ali! Great descriptions! I found a really good photo of the Malecón here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Malecón_am_Tag.jpg

    Love,

    David

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Ali! Great post. What a joy to take in these images and impressions of Cuba. I'm excited to hear more as your adventure progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is awesome, I'm glad that your falling in love with the culture!

    ReplyDelete